Anonymous

In a meeting at work, we decided to give each other anonymous compliments/thoughts. The note I received said, “I don’t think you’re stupid.” That comes across as a bit strange to most people, but it hit quite close to home for me; receiving this note was a huge anxiety relief for me. This was one of my first few weeks working after my friend, Keith, had hired me. I had major imposter syndrome and didn’t think I was cut out for the position. I was so worried he would think less of me if I couldn’t succeed at his clinic. After everyone had a chance to read their notes, I found out Keith had written mine.
My lack of confidence in my intellect has been a significant barrier for me, and I felt really understood and cared for at that moment.
I still have the note somewhere, and I think about this memory when I doubt myself. Keith has always been someone I admire, and I remind myself that I am capable of the things that I do.

Who is sharing this comic? Author?: Clare Urquhart
Image Alt Text - Say what can be seen: 4 stick figures around a table with a dog underneath, reading a note given by another person.

Edit Link: (emailed to author)
Request Now

← Previous comic

Next comic →

1. Anonymous

Hi Clare, It is such a good feeling when you receive a compliment, especially when is from someone that you respect and admire. Sometimes we need a friend or someone that we look up to, to remind us that we are “not stupid”.
    Ps. I love that you drew a dog on your comic.

2. CAP5.SEOWR

I think you are smart enough!

Just like you, I often feel insecure about myself so I can totally relate to you.
    I’m sure the insecurity you’ve felt about yourself has gradually made you stronger and grow up more. I hope you remember this always: You are smarter than you think you are.

Shining your light on these shared stories

Who doesn't enjoy having their stories read and appreciated. Please generously shine some of your light on others' good work by adding your comments here. :o)